Thursday, May 29, 2008

The first morning home

Morning all,

A morning update just to let you know how we're all doing. I was officially discharged last night (good job really as i'd emtied my room and taken every single thing home earlier in the day!!) Mum took me up to Oliver once Ed and I had got Abi to bed. It was a little hectic yesterday afternoon getting home etc but was really nice and was lovely to be here to put Abi to bed. Ed has been amazing with her and taught her to do so much on her own as I can't lift her as I had a c-section and you can't lift anything heavier than your baby for at least 6 weeks! She can get in and out of her car seat on her own and she can get in and out of her bed - we just need to suss the toilet! Bless her it doesn't help her she is so little :)

Ed was sorting out some photo's of Oliver for me for the side of my bed when we got home and Abi wanted some too - I thought that was lovely and good sign!! She tells me she loves her little brother and she's a big sister! :)

I got to do Olivers mouth care and nappy change when I arrived which is lovely to get some hands on things with him, they took him off CPAP for a while so I could give him a proper wash and he did so well they let me do some kangaroo care without CPAP too! He had a little facial oxygen but held his sats (oxygen levels) really well! It was the most amazing feeling having him skin to skin on me again he seems to really love it too his heart rate comes right down. He got himself into the fetal position and went to sleep! Mum got some pictures but unfortunately I still can't get them onto my lap top - Ed's going to have a look for me today we had a look last night but it was v late.

Once mum and I had said good night to Oliver and he was stable back on his CPAP with his pilots goggles on to protect his eyes from the lights of the photo therapy machine we went up to the postnatal ward to get discharged, I have to go back everyday but i'll be up there everyday anyway seeing Oliver and at least this way I get some time with Abi and Ed too.

I didn't sleep brilliantly but better than I had in hospital, i'm weaning my oxygen down now as I really don't want to be so dependant on it i'm having long periods off it too and my sats haven't been going too low which is great, so I only slept on 2lpm last night but it wasn't my chest stopping my sleeping was worrying about Oliver and getting comfy with my stomach too as i'm still pretty sore from the c-section. It does feel really weird being home - hard to explain but i'm not pregnant but Oliver isn't home with us either and its not right. I'm hoping it'll become easier but for the moment poor Ed has to put up with the hormones from me!!

I rang up first thing this morning while Ed and Abi were still asleep to get an update on Oliver - he'd had a great stable night and apart from being alittle sick this morning due to the pressures of the CPAP he's fine. So they omitted one feed just to give him a rest.

Abi is up now so i'm off to have a bath and get dressed we're going up to see Oliver in a bit. I'll update again tonight.

2 comments:

Rachael said...

Hi Diddyangel

Welcome home! I have been checking your blog for updates and so happy to read that things are going ok for you all. I look forward to seeing your pictures. Hope you all keep growing stronger and baby Oliver can be home with you soon.

Love
Rachaelxx

Anonymous said...

Hi Honey,

It's great news to hear that your home and that Oliver is doing well.
Can't wait to see you both
Laura
xxx